Talking points for DU's Employment Guarantee Program:
As part of its Vision 2015 strategic plan, it is Davenport University's intention to introduce an Employment Guarantee to all bachelor degree-seeking students who meet established criteria. This program reinforces the University's commitment to offer degrees that help students "Get Where the World is Going" in growing career fields. Students who meet Davenport's requirements will be eligible for additional education benefits if they are unable to obtain employment within six months of graduation.
For the 2014-15 academic year, Davenport University will conduct a pilot program involving students who have declared as Accounting Majors (BBA -- Accounting). To be eligible for this program, All accounting students must acknowledge that they understand the following criteria and benefits once accepted into the program.
To be eligible to receive the benefits of Davenport University's Employment Guarantee, graduates must:
- Achieved a final GPA of 3.00 or better within their major and overall, and have completed program within 6 years of start.
- Be legally eligible for employment in the U.S.
- Be willing to travel or relocate to new market (w/ health and disability considerations) to obtain employment within field
- Have a documented job search beginning no later than 2 semesters prior to graduation which includes no less than 50 customized resumes and cover letters spanning geographic markets and industry sectors.
- Not have a criminal background, which prevents employment within chosen field.
- Be in good financial standing with DU.
- Have successfully completed an internship, on/off-campus work study employment, or employment consisting of a minimum of 150 hours relative to chosen field.
- Have demonstrated participation in two (2) years or four (4) semesters of regular involvement in at least one significant on- or off-campus extracurricular activity such as a pre-professional or professional society, a registered student organization (RSO), DU varsity, club or intramural athletics, or other qualified and Career Services-approved volunteer activities.
- Have worked directly with Career Services within two (2) semesters of attending Davenport University and have actively pursued and demonstrated competency in the Career Services Professional Development Plan Checklist.
- Have completed the application for Employment Guarantee between six months and one year of graduation date if graduate has not obtained employment nor has entered a graduate degree program.
Davenport University Commitment:
For students who have achieved the standards of this agreement and are not employed within six (6) months of graduation, Davenport University will offer any and all of the following items based on an assessment of student need:
- Evaluation of student development areas and creation of an action plan to address those areas.
- Up to three (3) semesters of undergraduate courses not to exceed 16 credits per semester to enhance the existing degree in the student’s chosen field, which covers the cost of tuition up to the maximum of 16 credits (a value of $28,900 based upon 2014 tuition rates) and does not include the cost of textbooks, course fees, residence hall or living accommodations, or fees for taking certification tests.
- Continued engagement in on-campus and off-campus recruiting opportunities relative to the student’s professional area.
If a submitted application for Employment Guarantee is denied, the student may appeal through the Exceptions Committee.