Health Information Technology Associate of Applied Science
This program, accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM), prepares the individual to analyze, manage, and utilize patient care data and health information resources. Students in the program participate in the American Health Information Management Association’s Virtual Lab which provides students with a learning experience that uses state-of-the-art technology and software. Graduates will have an understanding of coding information for reimbursement and research, standards and regulations regarding health information and managing medical records and health care information. Graduates from accredited HIT programs are employed throughout the health care industry in hospitals, ambulatory care facilities, physician practices, managed care organizations, insurance companies, consulting and law firms—any organization that collects and uses health information.
This program requires a 40 - 80 hour professional practice experience.
This program is offered at the Grand Rapids Lettinga campus, available both in-seat and online. Students successfully completing this CAHIIM-accredited program are eligible to take the Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) exam offered by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA).
Students successfully completing this CAHIIM-accredited program are eligible to take the Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) exam offered by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA).
Each program completes a yearly Annual Program Assessment Review (APAR) for CAHIIM.
Outcomes from the most recent program review include:
- 100% of respondents to an employer survey indicated they are satisfied with graduates of the Davenport University HIM program
Program or Student/Graduate Learning Outcomes
- Manage health data (such as data elements, data sets, and databases).
- Ensure that documentation in the health record supports the diagnosis and reflects the patient’s progress, clinical findings, and discharge status.
- Develop organization-wide health record documentation guidelines.
- Maintain organizational compliance with regulations and standards.
- Ensure organizational survey readiness for accreditation, licensing and/or certification processes.
- Design and implement clinical documentation initiatives.
- Select electronic applications for clinical classification and coding.
- Implement and manage applications and processes for clinical classification and coding.
- Maintain processes, policies, and procedures to ensure the accuracy of coded data.
Admission follows Davenport University admission and progression policy as outlines in Undergraduate Catalog. Student in the College of Health Professions must maintain a 2.0 GPA to continue in a program of study towards a degree.
Criminal Background Check and Drug Screen Policy
All students in the Davenport University College of Health Professions are required to submit to criminal background check and drug screening at the time of declaring a major in the COHP. The results of the Testing , which shall remain confidential, shall be used by the COHP to approve or disapprove of a Student for enrollment or continued enrollment in the COHP, and/or eligibility for training programs, clinical or practicum. The Testing shall be completed by registering for the appropriate course and completing the entire testing process in the course. Each student is responsible for acknowledging and explaining positive Result(s) after completing the process. A student will be dismissed from the COHP if he or she refuses to consent to the Testing. The cost of the Testing is the part of the course fee and is the responsibility of the student.
The HIT associate of applied science degree program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM) at the Davenport University main campus in Grand Rapids, MI. Contact information:
233 N. Michigan Avenue Suite 2150
Chicago, IL 60601