Procedures: Registered student organizations requesting permission for a fire must complete the application form and receive approval a minimum of five (5) working days in advance of the requested date. Notification of approval will be confirmed via e-mail.
- The only location for fire events is in the Dining Hall patio/courtyard (stone pit only). Only wood may be burned.
- Organizations must bring their own wood supply (if wood is available from a campus source, you will be notified with your confirmation email).
- Alcoholic beverages are prohibited.
- The sponsoring organization will be responsible for lighting, monitoring, extinguishing, and clean up and the bonfire must be completely extinguished before the organization leaves the site.
- Bonfires may not be larger than 3 feet x 3 feet. Large bonfires will only be approved for major campus events (ie. Homecoming.) Large Bonfires (wood piled more than 3 feet high) will require local fire department to be on location at the fire to insure safety.
- Wood may only be prepared immediately before lighting. Newspaper and lighter fluid may only be used to start fire. NOTE: Please follow instructions on can if using lighter fluid. The fire must not contain treated wood, plastics or rubber.
- The fire may not exceed three hours burning time.
- A fire extinguisher is available when you check-in for your event at the South Hall Front Desk the day of the event for use only in case of emergency. Call 911 or Security Services at 616-554-5041 or 616-446-7098 in case of emergency.
- Music at the bonfire is permitted as long as it does not bother area residents.
- Hours for fires are between 6:00 PM -11:00 PM.
- The Caledonia Township Fire Department will make final approval in regards to weather conditions. Events may be cancelled at the last minute if conditions are not safe.