The Inaugural Davenport University Common Read 2012-13
A First-Year Experience Initiative
The Davenport University Common Read project is designed to:
1. Enhance the academic climate for first year students
2. Provide a common intellectual experience
3. Foster a sense of shared experience among DU students, faculty, staff, and external communities
Wes Moore to Speak at Davenport University
Grand Rapids - Lettinga Campus
October 17, 2012 7:00 - 8:00 PM
Join Us! Open to the public.
For Fall 2012 the theme for the Common Read was Learning Through Difference and our selected text was The Other Wes Moore: One Name Two Fates (2011) by Wes Moore.
“The chilling truth is that his story could have been mine. The tragedy is that my story could have been his.” ~Wes Moore
For Fall 2012, the Common Read was integrated into learning activities for 15-week and S1 in-seat sections of FRSM100: Career and Education Seminar. Other students, faculty and community members are encouraged to purchase the book and participate in university-wide activities related to the Common Read initiative.
2012 Common Read Schedule of Events
October 17, 2012 Keynote speaker—Wes Moore
7:00-8:00 p.m. Public presentation by Wes Moore in the Student Center at Davenport’s W.A. Lettinga Campus.
This event will be streamed live to audiences at other Davenport campuses, including:
- Saginaw -- Room 166
- Warren -- South Building, Room 16
- Kalamazoo -- Room 3
- Battle Creek -- Room 107
- Holland -- Room 101
- Livonia -- Room 119-121
- Midland -- Room 110
- Lansing -- Room 204 (due to limited seating, contact firstname.lastname@example.org to RSVP)
- Flint -- Room 103
Davenport University is proud to partner with the Caledonia Branch and Kentwood Branch of the Kent District Library System to extend opportunities for community members to participate in the Common Read. For more information, contact: Dr. Terri Tomaszek at 616-554-4719 or via email at email@example.com.
Co-Chairs and Committee Members. This event is coordinated by a team of faculty, administrators, staff, and librarians (both DU and community).
- Rhae-Ann Booker (co-chair)
- Judy Bosshart
- Cheryl Cammenga (Branch Manager, Kentwood Branch of Kent District Library System)
- Colleen Coughlin
- Keri Dutkiewicz (co-chair)
- Elizabeth Guarino-Kozlowicz (Branch Manager, Caledonia Branch of Kent District Library System)
- Jodi Hicks (co-chair)
- Linda Hood
- Karen McLaughlin
- Sally Page
- Andrea Shacks
- Angela Smith
- Wayne Sneath
- Terri Tomaszek (co-chair)
- Sharon Vriend-Robinette
- Jessica Wright
- Lauren Zemaitis
- Sabrina Zoppa