Strategies for Success
You've invested in yourself with Davenport University. Now, invest in your future by getting the most out of your experience.
- Every class provides a syllabus. Live by each syllabus from Day 1 to finals and you'll be happy.
- Speak with your Disability Services Coordinator about meeting with instructors as classes begin, to explain any accommodations you may need and how they will affect the classroom setting.
- You are busy. Get a planner, digital or otherwise, to keep track of assignments, exams and meetings.
- Know, test and use your DU email account! This is the email DU (and your instructors) will use to contact you.
- Attend every class session. Get what you are paying for!
- If you must miss a class, let the instructor know as soon as possible before your absence, including the reason and your plan for covering anything you'll miss.
- Read all assignments before class.
- Complete and turn in your assignments on time. Homework credit affects your grade. Feedback on assignments is for your benefit and will help you succeed.
- Tap into the tutoring schedule for classes where you may struggle. Tap into this winning strategy early in the term and you'll finish strong.
- Connect with other students so that you can share information, clarify assignments and materials, study, and collaborate.
- Helping you is our job. If you don't understand something, please ask your instructor. Ask in class or by email, but please ask!
- Check in with disability services and your instructors to let them know how your accommodations are working, and to confirm that you are on track.
- Suggested disability services check-in schedule:
- Before classes begin
- Following Week 2
- Following Week 4
- Before midterms
- Before final exam/assignment
- Take advantage of campus support early and often. It's all for you.
Tips to tip off the year in your favor!
- It's always important to stay healthy, both physically and mentally. Here are some tips to help you succeed in creating a healthier you.
- A.S.P.I.R.E. to be great in all aspects of your education, career and personal life. The A.S.P.I.R.E. study system can be implemented in may different areas of you life, use it to your advantage.
- Learn to effectively study with understanding times, places, and habits to help you effectively retain information.
- Ever wonder why you pick up some things more quickly than others? Well there are three basic learning styles; Auditory, Visual and Kinesthetic. Find out which one you are here.
- Stress can be rather overwhelming, learn how to manage the stressful things in life.
- Taking notes can be essential to help retain information. Here are the Top Five Tips for note taking.
- Whether studying is or is not your strong suit, here are some great study tips to help your study habits flourish.
- Time is one of the most valuable assets in anyone's life, learn how to manage your time with these ten steps.
- Getting ready for that upcoming test can be stressful and hard to figure out where and when to start. Here is a One Week Study Guide to help you prepare for that upcoming test.