Back to Home
Student Access FAQ

Student Access FAQ

How do I apply for admissions?

Students with disabilities follow the same admissions procedures as any student would when applying to Davenport University. Admission information and online application can be found at

Are admission standards modified for students with disabilities?

No, admission standards are the same for all students applying to Davenport University. You must meet the same admission and program standards as other students.

How do I know who the Student Access Coordinator is at my location?

Click here to review the list of Student Access Coordinators at your campus or contact

What is the Student Access accommodation process?

Students may request reasonable accommodations as a result of a qualifying disability as defined by Federal legislation within the Americans with Disabilities Act (1990), the Americans with Disabilities Amendments Act (2008), or Section 504 of the Vocational Rehabilitation Act (1973). It is a students’ responsibility to contact a Student Access Coordinator at their campus to initiate and fulfill the accommodation process.

Students should contact the Student Access Coordinator as early as possible in order to have proper documentation ready for faculty at the start of the semester. Please: 

  • Contact the Student Access Coordinator at your campus
  • Obtain Accommodation Request Form & Verification of Disability Form to be completed 
    • Student should complete the Accommodation Request Form
    • Medical professional should complete the Verification of Disability Form
  • Email, fax, or drop off completed forms to the Student Access Coordinator or send to 

Upon reviewing proper documentation, the Student Access Coordinator will send an Individual's Documentation of Accommodation (IDA) and a Provisional Letter of Accommodation (PLA) to the student. The student should submit to a students faculty members by the student as they see fit. 

What if I need the information in an alternate format, how can I receive this information?

Contact Kassy Clark, Campus Life Coordinator, at (616) 554-5184 or

Does Davenport University have special education classes for students with disabilities?

No, Davenport provides accommodations for students within the general educational setting based on disability and a student's needs. Davenport University will provide reasonable accommodations, as deemed appropriate and in accordance with state and federal guidelines, by providing access that allows equal participation in University programs and activities. 

How do I request accommodations?

You must complete the Accommodations Request Form along with Verification of Disability form(s) and any supporting documentation. Either return or email the forms to the Student Access Coordinator at the campus where you attend or plan to attend.

How will I know if I am eligible to receive reasonable accommodations?

After reviewing the request and documentation, the Student Access Coordinator will meet with you to discuss any need for additional documentation, approval of accommodations, as well as necessary paperwork related to receiving services. If you are eligible for services, you will receive an Instructor’s Documentation of Accommodations (IDA) which will state the accommodations and services you are eligible to receive. The Student Access Coordinator will act as a liaison with faculty and other campus departments to assure compliance with accommodation requests.

Should I contact my instructors and let them know I need an accommodation?

You should not contact faculty or request accommodations from them prior to completing the Accommodations Request Form, along with the Verification of Disability form and before meeting with the Student Access  Coordinator. If you are eligible for services, you will receive an Instructor’s Documentation of Accommodations (IDA) which will state the accommodations and services you are eligible to receive. Once you have your IDA, please discuss your needed accommodations with your instructors so that the support can be coordinated.

How early should I ask for services?

Davenport asks that you request services at least six weeks before the semester you intend to enroll at Davenport.   However, Davenport will consider all requests regardless of when submitted.  You are welcome to visit any Davenport location and discuss required documentation, types of accommodations, or the academic and physical requirements of your chosen program.

Will I automatically receive services each semester?

After you have gone through the process of verifying your disability, you will receive an Instructor’s Documentation of Accommodations (IDA.) Generally, the Instructor’s Documentation of Accommodations (IDA) is valid for two academic years. It is up to you  to speak with each instructor to coordinate receipt of accommodations. If needed, the Student Access Coordinator will act as a liaison with an instructor and other campus departments, at your request, to assure compliance with accommodation requests.

Is there a fee for requesting services?

No, students are not charged a fee for processing an accommodation request through Student Access. Students will be responsible for the cost of obtaining required documentation establishing a covered disability and the need for accommodation. Approved accommodations generally will be at no cost to the student.

Is my information kept confidential?

All disability-related documentation is treated as medical information and is retained separately from academic records. This information is shared only on a need-to-know basis within the institution. The student has the right to determine with whom to disclose his/her disability. A part of the Verification of Disability form has a section for the release of information on it so that the Student Access Coordinator can discuss information regarding academic adjustments/auxiliary aids and/or accommodations related to your disability with relevant Davenport University academic and operations personnel to provide the desired support.

Are opportunities for accommodations the same at each location?

Accommodations are individualized for each eligible student. Every effort will be made to provide an effective accommodation at the location you attend. Davenport University is committed to analyzing the appropriations of any and all auxiliary aids or services based on the individual needs of students on a case-by-case basis. 

Who will advocate for me?

You are responsible for providing the University with timely notice of the need for accommodation and timely and complete documentation to support the request. The Student Access Coordinator will provide guidance and support in implementing your Instructor's Documentation of Accommodation (IDA). If you believe you are experiencing discrimination because of your disability, please advise your Student Access  Coordinator or follow the complaint procedures outlined in the Student Handbook.

How do I advocate for myself?

Submit your accommodation request and supporting documentation in a timely fashion. Make sure that for every class that you feel you need accommodations that you privately meet with the instructor at the start of the session and go over your Instructor’s Documentation of Accommodations (IDA). Let them know you are a hard worker and you are committed to being successful in the class. Familiarize yourself with University policies and procedures. Contact your Advisor or the Student Access Coordinator if you have any problems or difficulties.