Back to Home
Social Security Number Discrepancy Resolution

Social Security Number Discrepancy

The federal government checks social security numbers entered on the FAFSA to confirm that the student is eligible to receive financial aid. If the government cannot match the information you provided on the FAFSA, you will receive a notice that you need to submit a copy of your social security card to the Davenport Financial Aid Office.

That notification indicates that according to Social Security Administration’s (SSA) records, the name you reported on your FAFSA does not correspond with the social security number you have on the SSA’s database. If the social security number on your FAFSA is not correct, you need to provide us with a copy of your social security card so that we can make a correction. We cannot continue processing your financial aid without a copy of your card. If the social security number on your FAFSA is correct, you need to contact your local Social Security Administration office to resolve the problem. When you receive documentation that your social security number is accurate, please forward it to the Financial Aid Office.

Your social security card might not reflect your married name. If that is the case, you need to request a name change with the Social Security Administration. We are unable to disburse any financial aid funds without the revised card or a copy of the letter from Social Security (which notes your social security number). Please send the documentation immediately to the Financial Aid Office so that processing can continue on your file.