Farmers Insurance Annual Scholarship
Responding to the growing need for new talent in the insurance and risk management industry, Davenport University introduced a new Risk Management and Insurance specialty within its Bachelor of Business Administration in Management program in the fall of 2012. Farmers Insurance, which worked with DU to develop the curriculum, has also made a generous commitment to provide $10,000 for the next three years toward student scholarships in the Insurance Education Specialty.
Students attending full-time and in their junior or senior year may apply for a Farmers Insurance Annual Scholarship through the foundation application. The annual award amount will range from $1,000-$5,000. The scholarship can cover tuition, books and Davenport resident hall charges.
- Junior or Senior
- Full-time enrollment (12 or more credits in both Fall and Winter semesters)
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Open to students in the BBA program, willing to indicate their intent to pursue the Risk Management and Insurance Specialty
- Essay Required
- Community service requirement - active involvement in at least one community service organization during the current or past year.
Full-time students; RMI majors or specialties; Usually junior or senior status unless indicated; Usually good grades required, 3.0 GPA or higher on a 4.0 scale unless indicated
Amerisure Insurance Companies (awarded in the past to Temple University students; initiate contact with Corporate Recruiter Christa Ryland firstname.lastname@example.org)
Angus Robinson Jr. Memorial Scholarship (several scholarships ranging from $1,000 to $5,000) ; very competitive, usually need a 3.5 GPA to win one.
Blue Goose International – Michigan Pond (primarily claims adjusters; community service focus)(typically three $500 scholarships from Detroit, Lansing and Grand Rapids Puddles) – contact Richard Chenard email@example.com
Central Michigan Adjusters Association (typically three to six at $500 each) – contact Trista Strohaver, Claims Representative, Secura Insurance Companies TStrohaver@secura.net
Derek Hughes/NAPSLO Foundation (National Association of Professional Surplus Lines Offices) (several scholarships ranging from $1,000 to $5,000), very competitive, usually need a 3.5 GPA to win one
Detroit Chapter of the Risk and Insurance Management Society (one or two $1,000 scholarships) – contact Tim Comer firstname.lastname@example.org
Grand Rapids Insurance Professionals – contact Deb Oldfield email@example.com
Insurance Institutes CPCU Scholarship program (for CPCU exam expenses)
Michigan Adjusters Association (typically two at $500 each) – contact Steve Bowne firstname.lastname@example.org
Muskegon Adjusters Association (typically one $250 scholarship for a resident in the surrounding counties in west Michigan) – contact Steve Bowne email@example.com
Saginaw Valley Adjusters Association – contact Chuck McMartin firstname.lastname@example.org
The CPCU-Loman Education Foundation Internship Financial Aid Program
Society of Chartered Property Casualty Underwriters (CPCU) Chapters:
- Detroit CPCU Chapter – contact Charlie Stevens, MMRMA, 734-513-0300
- Mid-Michigan CPCU Chapter (typically $500 to $1,000; will consider GPAs under 3.0 if active in campus activities, with a good recommendation) – contact Rebecca Mengerick Mengerink.Rebecca@aoins.com
- Western Michigan CPCU Chapter (typically $500) Roger Weise email@example.com, or Vic Prowsevic.firstname.lastname@example.org (criteria includes “someone from western Michigan”)
Westran Insurance Scholarship Foundation (20 to 30 $2,000 scholarships; high school seniors may apply for freshmen year – usually $1,000; limited to Great Lakes States – extra weight given to Michigan students and active Gamma Iota Sigma members; recommendation from industry professional and from an academic; GPA considered, sometimes awarding GPAs as low as 2.6).