Jobs for International Students

As an international student with F-1 status, you may be eligible to get a job while you are here, such as:

On-Campus Work

  • You can work on the campus that issued your Form I-20.
  • New students are eligible to start working up to 30 days prior to the start of classes. 
  • You remain eligible as long as you maintain F-1 status. 
  • You can work up to 20 hours a week.  

Note: There are legal restrictions to on-campus positions. F-1 students may be employed in any on-campus position that does not displace a U.S. worker. Jobs in this category do not have to be related to your course of study.

Off-Campus Work

You may want to seek a temporary job experience in your field.  To be eligible you must:

  • Be in valid F-1 status 
  • Have completed at least one academic year, enrolled full time (two semesters) as an F1 student
  • Receive authorization for employment from your International Advisor/DSO
  • Not be enrolled in the ESL program
  • Finish your term of employment by the date listed on your I-20 or EAD card

Please utilize our Career Services to look for job opportunities.

Off-campus job options may be available for a maximum of 12 months during or after you complete your DU program. These include:


Off-campus work authorization during their course of study.  Please complete the CPT request form and submit to your Academic advisor/DSO for approval.  This type of work must be related to your field of study. 


Requires USCIS approval.  Please download our OPT request form and OPT Frequently Asked Questions then schedule a meeting with your Academic Advisor/DSO for further information about the application process. The OPT Employer Information Form is required to be completed once an employment opportunity has been secured.  If you change employers anytime during your OPT eligibility this form must also be completed with the new employer information and sent to your DSO for updates in SEVIS.

Please review our power point presentation: Employment and immigration Options, created by our immigration attorney from Varnum Law.  Please refer to the document below, Immigration Services in Michigan to view other resources that are available throughout the state.  

Contact the International Office for more information on job opportunities for international students or to set up an appointment to discuss your current work options.