Back to Home

Frequently Asked Questions

Chapter 33: Post 9/11 GI Bill

How does the Post 9/11 GI Bill  $1000 book stipend pay?

At 100% eligibility, your authorized percentage is $41.67 per credit with a max of $500 per semester and $1000 annually.

When do I get my book stipend?

The Post-9/11 GI Bill book stipend will be direct deposited to your bank account or mailed to you depending on what you selected when you applied. The book stipend will not be issued until after the semester starts so you will need to purchase your books before you receive the stipend.

If a student has one day of Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits available when he or she starts a semester, will the VA disburse funds for the entire semester?

If the semester will keep the student within the maximum length of 48 months, then the tuition, fees, and book stipend will pay out for the whole semester. The MHA will cut off at 36 months no matter where you are in the semester. If the semester will cause the student to go past the 48-month maximum, then all benefits of the GI Bill will cut off and only prorate based on the remaining benefit.

Will the Post-9/11 GI Bill cover study abroad programs?

Funding will cover tuition only. No other expenses will be covered. The student will be responsible for all remaining costs of the trip.

How many classes do I need to get the full monthly housing allotment?

In a 15 week semester, you need to be enrolled in 12 credits to be eligible for the full monthly housing allotment. In a seven-week semester, you need to be enrolled in 6 credits to receive the full monthly allotment. (On average, 12 credits equal four classes). Additionally, you need to be enrolled in at least one on-campus class that runs for the entire semester to receive the full allotment. If you choose to attend completely online you will only receive 50% of the national average for BAH (per VA guidelines). A military advisor can help ensure you are scheduled correctly; click here to find the advisor for your campus.

Will I get my full MHA if I take all my classes online?

If they meet the more than ½ time requirement and are taking all online classes you will receive 50% of the national average for MAH If the student is in-seat for any portion of the semester they will receive the in-seat rate for that portion.

What happens if I withdraw from a class?

If you are even considering withdrawing from a class you should contact your advisor, click here to find a Military Advisor at your campus. The VA has certain rules about withdrawing and there are circumstances where you will owe the VA money if you withdraw from a class. Your Military Advisor can help walk you through this process and review all of your options.

Military Discount

Can you get a discount and a scholarship? Which is better?

The 20% military discount is in lieu of DU’s Silver and Gold scholarship. The Platinum scholarship is typically a better option.

Are dependents of current service members or veterans eligible for the 20% discount?

Yes. To receive the discount the student must provide a copy of the veterans’ DD214 (member-4) or LES and proof of dependency. Every semester the LES must be resubmitted. Must meet financial aid requirements of dependency.

Military Tuition Assistance (TA)

When is the last date I can apply for TA?

Your TA application must be submitted prior to the first day of class.

What paperwork do I need to apply for TA?

Generally, you need a copy of your degree plan, your class schedule, and a copy of your bill. You can print or take screen shots of all these items from your Student Connection

Do you need a certain grade to have TA pay out?

Most branches require you to earn a C or better in any class for which you want TA to cover the costs.

When will the TA payments be applied to my account?

TA payments are applied to your account after grades have posted.

If I receive a Pell grant, can it cover my fees?

Yes, in most cases Pell grants can cover your fees.  The exception is Military TA.

General Questions

What qualifies a student for military leave of absence?

Any spontaneous military event where the student is issued orders will qualify for a military leave of absence. Deployments or annual training events are the most common.

What do I do if I need to take a military leave of absence?

First, you should contact your advisor, click here to find a Military Advisor at your campus and provide him or her with your orders. Your advisor will talk you through the Military Leave of Absence process, make sure the necessary paperwork is submitted and that you suffer no financial repercussions. Your advisor can also help you reschedule your classes so that you will stay on track with your degree plan.

For a military leave of absence, do I have to pay back the GI Bill payments?

If the student submits the appropriate paperwork, usually orders, than he or she will not have to pay any money back to the VA or owe the school. However, the student will need to retake the class.

Can students use Veterans Retraining Assistance Program VRAP at DU?

No, the VRAP program is reserved for Community Colleges and technical schools (not a university). For more information please visit the VRAP page.

What do I do if I have concerns about a course or instructor?

First you should contact your advisor, click here to find a Military Advisor at your campus. Next, you should document your issue by submitting a course concern.

What do I do if I cannot finish a class?

First, you should contact your advisor, click here to find a Military Advisor at your campus. Your advisor will determine if you are eligible for a Military Leave of Absence. If you are not eligible your advisor will talk you through the withdraw process or other options. Each student’s situation is unique and the VA’s policies on withdrawing from a class are very complicated so it is essential that you contact a Military Advisor.

How much MHA will a Post-9/11 GI Bill user receive if attending classes at a rate of greater than half time but less than full time?

When using the Post-9/11 GI Bill @ 100% eligibility and the student's rate of pursuit is greater than half time but not full time, students will receive 80% of their MHA allotment. Note: 3/4 time is defined as 9-11 credits per the IHL (Institutions of Higher Learning) explanation on the VA Website.