Back to Home
Academic Credit for Military Experience

Military Transcript Requests

All Military students should request an official copy of their transcript.

Credit from Military Transcripts

Military credit is assigned by the American Council on Higher Education (ACE). Click here for a Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services. DU also awards advanced standing credit which may not have been evaluated by ACE.

DU also offers a Veteran Bachelor of Business Administration (VBBA)  and Veteran Bachelor of Science (VBA).  These degrees take your documented military experience into consideration and much of the experience translates into credit.  The  following VBBA and VBS majors in the College of Business, Health, and Technology and are listed below:

  • VBBA Business
  • VBBA Management
  • VBS Health Information Management
  • VBS Health Services Administration
  • VBS Medical Case Management
  • VBS Technology Project Management

Please contact someone on our Military and Veterans Service Team is you have questions about he VBBA or VBS degrees.

Military Transfer Credit Appeal

If your military experience did not transfer as expected, or you feel that there is a class in your Degree Plan for which you have already met the learning outcomes, please contact your Military Advisor. He or she will assist you with filing for a Transfer Credit Appeal with our Registrar.

Prior Learning Assessment (PLA)

Military students may also receive credit for experience not reflected on transcripts. DU will consider the following experience: career, personal, job-related, and community participation. A portfolio must be submitted for credit to be considered. Please read the requirements and consult with your Military Advisor if you are considering a PLA. You can also find more information on the PLA website.

Testing for College Credit

Active duty personnel may take approved tests for college credit at no cost. Veterans may be reimbursed for approved tests through their VA funding. A list of available equivalency tests is available on the Testing Center resource page. For more information, please visit the Testing Center.