Computer Information Systems – Co-Op Program
Bachelor of Science | 120 Credits
Program Description Contact: email@example.com
The Computer Information Systems (CIS) Co-op Program couples classroom instruction with paid, application-focused learning in business and industry settings arranged as part of a student’s course of study. This ongoing professional immersion in the field provides students with a performance-edge valued by employers. The BS in Computer Information Systems prepares students in fields such as application and web development, programming, and computer information systems analysis
Key Components of the Co-Op Education program
- Students will graduate in four years with summer work / classes required.
- Students and employers can negotiate separately regarding employment outside of Co-Op.
- Students will earn while they learn through employer paid Co-Op semesters.
- Co-Op Program begins after the first year with every student completing three Co-Op semesters
- Employers select students based on GPA, student interests, essay, resume, and interviews.
- Students will develop valuable career contacts.
- Employers evaluate student potential over extended learning environment.
- Employer can hire 2 – 3 students to alternate to fill one full-time position if desired.
- Minimum hourly salary for students is $12 for Co-Op I, $13.50 for Co-Op II, and $15 for Co-Op III.
Typical CIS Co-Op Positions
|Application Developer||Computer Information Specialist||Mobile Developers||Internet Programmer|
|Programmer||Software Engineer||Systems Analyst||IT Business Analyst|
|Web Developer||Technical Support||Help Desk Support||Web Administrator|
Davenport offers course credit for specific certifications. In addition, certification exams are highly recommended after completing certificate related courses. See our certification page for additional information.
COMPUTER INFORMATION SYSTEMS CO-OP OPTION
BACHELOR OF SCIENCE • 120 CREDITS • CIS CO-OP BS
The Computer Information Systems Co-op Program prepares students in a broad range of computer programming competencies through job cooperative education (co-ops) in business and industry settings coupled with classroom instruction. Students will learn to work with leaders from functional areas to analyze information requirements and determine ways in which computer systems can meet those needs. Students will complete three 300 hour co-op experiences during the program.
- High School GPA of 3.0 at end of Junior year
- ACT of 23 or above
- SAT of 1130
- Place into pre-calculus (MATH150) or higher
- Letter of application at time of admission to the university
- Two letters of reference
- Committee interview (committee will be comprised of the CIS Department Chair, Associate Dean, and Director of Experiential Learning)
Continued Enrollment Requirements:
- Maintenance of 3.0 GPA overall and in major courses.
- Successful Co-op site supervisor evaluations
|Foundations of Excellence||32 cr.|
|ACES100 or OPEN||Achieving Career and Education Success or (if exempt) Open Elective||3 cr.|
|COMM120||Presentation Techniques||3 cr.|
|ENGL110||Advanced Composition||3 cr.|
|ENGL311||Professional Writing||3 cr.|
|MATH215||Calculus I||4 cr.|
|SOSC201||Diversity in Society||3 cr.|
|SOSC301||Globalization and World Diversity||3 cr.|
|STAT220||Introduction to Statistics||3 cr.|
|Foundations of Business||9 cr.|
|ACCT200||Accounting Basics for Managers||3 cr.|
|BUSN210||Professional Ethics||3 cr.|
|MGMT211||Management Foundations||3 cr.|
|Foundations of Computer Information Systems Co-op||24 cr.|
|CIOP197||CIS Co-op Professional Success Seminar||3 cr.|
|CISP111||Requirements Planning and Developing||3 cr.|
|CISP247||Database Design||3 cr.|
|MATH250||Discrete Structures||3 cr.|
|CSCI231||Introduction to Programming||3 cr.|
|GPMT287||Principles of Project Management||3 cr.|
|Choose two of the following:||(6) cr.|
|CSCI232||Object-Oriented Programming with C++||3 cr.|
|CSCI234||Object-Oriented Programming with C#||3 cr.|
|CSCI239||Object-Oriented Programming with Java||3 cr.|
|CISP211||E-Business Foundations||3 cr.|
|CISP220||Web Page Applications||3 cr.|
|CISP238||Server Side Scripting I||3 cr.|
|CISP309||Database Systems||3 cr.|
|CISP340||Mobile Application Development I||3 cr.|
|CISP401||Systems Analysis and Design||3 cr.|
|CISP405||B2B Processes||3 cr.|
|CISP410||Systems Integration||3 cr.|
|CSCI312||Data Structures and Algorithms||3 cr.|
|CSCI342||Advanced Object-Oriented Programming||3 cr.|
|CSCI420||Distributed Architectures||3 cr.|
|CSCI430||Operating Systems||3 cr.|
|Co-op classes:||(19) cr.|
|CIOP297||Computer Information System Co-op Level I||6 cr.|
|CIOP397||Computer Information System Co-op Level II||6 cr.|
|CIOP497||Computer Information System Co-op Level III||7 cr.|