Course Formats

The four current categories of course delivery at Davenport are In-SeatBlendedOnline, and Real-Time Virtual (RTV) . The length of delivery time may vary, so do make sure you know whether you are teaching a 4, 7, 10, or 15 week course, so you can prepare for a successful experience. However, regardless of what course you teach at Davenport, you can expect to teach it in a format that fits into one of these four categories. While some instructors feel most comfortable teaching in one particular category, we encourage all of our instructors to expand their knowledge and teach across formats.


This format is often referred to as “Traditional.” An in-seat course is delivered face-to-face, in real time, with you and your students together in a classroom or computer lab. Courses may meet once, twice, or three times per week; course credit hours and contact hours will determine the length of your per class meeting times.

A Blackboard shell is provided for every in-seat course, so that you can manage student grades, create and accept electronic student assignments, and post announcements and important course documents, including your syllabus.


The Blended course format combines features from both In-Seat and online courses. While you will meet face-to-face with students in a classroom or computer lab, and course credit hours and contact hours will determine the length of your per class meeting times in a given semester, you will only spend 60% of class time there; the remaining 40% of course time and work will be completed in an asynchronous online environment.  

A Blackboard shell is provided for every blended course, and you are expected to use it for the same basic level functions required of In-Seat courses. However, this is where you’ll house the assignments and information students will complete in the online portion of your Blended course, so you will need to build a robust set of instructional materials here.


When we say Online at Davenport, we actually mean asynchronous Online courses. There are occasional situations where you may have specified, limited, face-to-face meetings with your students, but, most often, this format means that you and your students will not meet in-seat, in real time, in a classroom. Rather, 100% of your course will be built and delivered through the Blackboard shell you’ll receive.

While you’ll use Blackboard for the basic functions of an In-Seat course, and you’ll house the assignments and information students will also complete in a Blended course, you will also be required to build assessments (such as quizzes and tests) and threaded discussions that students can undertake individually within the timeframes of your course schedule.

Real-Time Virtual Learning (RTV)

Real-Time Virtual Learning classes are held at scheduled times, rely on synchronous (real-time) Online technology, and  feature the use of Blackboard Collaborate for their delivery. Students can meet on-campus in computer labs, in dedicated spaces for RTV, in computer lab classrooms or at any off-campus location of their choosing provided it is equipped with a broadband internet connection (e.g. their primary office space, or their home). You can teach from a campus space, such as your office, or from the off-campus location of your choice, provided it is equipped with a broadband internet connection.

Blackboard Collaborate is a featured delivery tool in the RTV course format; you’ll deliver key learning components, including short lectures, discussions, activities, and group projects, through this technology. However, you will also use Blackboard, the parent system for Blackboard Collaborate, to house course materials, including assignments, assessments, and supplemental content, to create a robust learning environment.

Students, to review answers to some frequently asked questions, see Academic Support Services.