Equipping our community for inclusive excellence
At Davenport, we believe that engaging diversity, equity and inclusion is essential to achieving educational and institutional excellence. The Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, promotes these core university values by creating an environment of equity and inclusivity that leverages diverse life experiences, ideas, backgrounds and perspectives.
Be a part of the DEI vision
As a university, we will be:
A community where similarities and differences are respected and celebrated, multiple perspectives and diversity of thought are embraced and people are engaged in intercultural experiences, including international education opportunities.
Actively promoting the full participation of all community members with an acknowledgment of the challenges faced by people from historically marginalized groups.
The leading example of a diverse and equitable organization, as reflected by the composition and behavior of our faculty, staff and students.
Why DEI at Davenport?
Leveraging our core values of DEI affords us the following benefits:
1. Enhanced ability to work in a global society
Diverse learning environments provide an opportunity for us to learn about, understand and value the different traditions, cultures and perspectives present within our local and global communities.
2. Strengthened social development
Exploring and analyzing our own cultural identities deepens our sense of belonging, sense of self, and allows us to have a more authentic impact on the world.
3. Preparation for success
Developing DEI skills strengthens our ability to think critically about the injustices that exist in the world and expands our capacity to address complex problems from different viewpoints.
The office of DEI created a transformative framework for the way we provide education as we equip and support faculty, staff and students to create inclusive excellence at Davenport. The framework focuses on five components:
- Diversity - Individual differences and group/social differences
- Equity - The guarantee of fairness in treatment, access, opportunity and advancement for all students, faculty, and staff and the identification and elimination of barriers that prevent the full participation of some groups.
- Competency - The demonstrated attitudes, skills and knowledge to support a set of behaviors for advancing diversity, equity and inclusion across groups, cultures and practices.
- Commitment - The individual and institutional pledge to do what is needed in order to transform the vision into reality.
- Inclusion - The active, intentional, and ongoing engagement with diversity—in the curriculum, in the co-curriculum, and in communities (intellect, social, cultural, geographical) with which individuals might connect.
Advancing DEI at Davenport
Under Vision 2025, Davenport has created a strategic plan to advance DEI across all of our campuses. The main objectives are to:
- Strengthen academic excellence
- Advance student success and well-being
- Continue to enhance student access and affordability
- Build an inclusive and empowered workforce
- Promote operational innovations and efficiencies
- Expand the community, alumni, and partnership engagement
DEI at Davenport:
Davenport offers various DEI-related scholarships and has a list of outside and community scholarships to help you secure financial aid for college. Students could receive a scholarship based on their involvement in support of diversity and inclusion or from an essay contest.
Find your niche
Davenport has something for everyone. With more than 40 student organizations, you'll have the opportunity to get involved in something important to you with people who share similar interests.
A council like no other
Guided by the University's Vision and the DEI Strategic Plan, the DEI Council is an inter-campus, cross-functional group of faculty, staff and students who serve as an advisory and working group in advancing the University's DEI efforts.
Celebrate LGBTQ+ identity
Davenport recognizes and understands the importance of creating safe and affirming spaces for the LGBTQ+ community on campus and within our local community.
Awards and recognition
A commitment to providing an exceptional educational experience for all is one reason Davenport has earned INSIGHT Into Diversity magazine’s Higher Education Excellence in Diversity award eight times.
Developing your DEI lens
Davenport University is committed to providing resources and support to empower our campus community to further their DEI learning related to different disciplines, cultural observances and more.
Supporting our students through diverse vendors
Supplier diversity provides us with a significant position of strength in which to support our students and contribute to the sustainability of our communities and our organization. We are committed to providing meaningful opportunities for Davenport to engage in business with diverse vendors.
Davenport's Panther Resource Closet
Pick up free snacks, personal hygiene products and even a professional outfit at the Panther Resource Closet. Located on the lower level of the academic building at the W.A. Lettinga Campus, the Panther Resource Closet was designed to provide these resources free of charge to all enrolled students who might need them.