Davenport's commitment to diversity and inclusivity is grounded in the university's mission and core values
In keeping with this commitment, the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) supports the intellectual, social and cultural development of all Davenport community members — especially those from historically underrepresented backgrounds. Additionally, Davenport fosters student connections among peers, faculty and staff by providing academic and programmatic services that are culturally relevant and supportive of diverse needs.
Explore this page for specific multicultural resources to support students of color, or visit davenport.edu/dei to learn more about Davenport's DEI resources.
Join a community and celebrate your cultural identity
Davenport University has more than 40 student organizations that fall into one of three categories: service and advocacy, academic and professional, or social and recreational. Below are six cultural student organizations that will help you expand your connections on campus. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Alpha League - Alpha League works to promote brotherhood within men of diverse ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds through philanthropy, scholarship, leadership, and, social/emotional workshops.
- Asian Student Union (ASU) - ASU helps students develop leadership from within and encourage social engagements and active academic skills. Through cultural reflections, ASU will bring comfort and confidence within the walls of Davenport.
- ASPIRE - ASPIRE provides opportunities for women of color to better achieve academic success, foster strong interpersonal skills and relationships, and develop as leaders at Davenport University.
- Black Student Union (BSU) - BSU is for any student enrolled at Davenport University who is interested in improving human relations in general, and the quality of life for black students in particular, on the campus of Davenport University.
- Latinx Student Union (LSU) - LSU engages in Latinx communities and has our voices heard regarding social issues and community resources. We plan to educate Davenport students about Latino arts and culture.
- Global Student Organization (GSO) - GSO is a group of internationally minded members of the DU community. Through our programs and activities, we strive to promote international education, global awareness, and cultural integration.
Experience Student Life at Davenport
Davenport offers you a diverse, energetic learning community filled with opportunities to get involved and make lifelong connections, including the following annual events:
Welcome Mixer - Davenport's annual Welcome mixer brings together students and staff of color. Allies are encouraged to attend as well. During this event, you will hear about our culturally-based registered student organizations, hear from a featured guest and get to know other Davenport students.
- Intercultural Festival - Davenport's annual Intercultural Festival celebrates and appreciates the diverse people, cultures and backgrounds that make up Davenport University and the surrounding communities. Enjoy cultural festivities from around the world including music, food, dance and a fashion show.
Davenport's multicultural lounge, which opened in fall 2021, is designed to welcome students of color to embrace and celebrate diversity at Davenport. Located at Davenport's W.A. Lettinga Campus in the academic building, students have the opportunity to connect with their peers in a space designed for studying, socializing, community building and cultural connection.
For more information, contact the Center for Campus Life at email@example.com or 616.554.5095.