Accepting, Reducing, Declining Aid

All the hard work of filling out applications and meeting deadlines has an up side: getting a notice that you have received a financial award or loan approval. To accept your aid, you will need to use your student login. If you have not received a login, contact your Admissions Representative or your Advisor.

How to Accept or Decline your Student Loans

  1. Log into to
  2. Click Login in the upper right-hand corner this will bring you to the Student Connection
  3. Click on Accept Your Financial Aid under Financial Tools/Financial Aid Section
  4. Click on Self Service Banner 
  5. Click on the drop-down box to Select Aid Year and choose the aid year in which you plan to accept or decline financial aid
  6. Click on Submit
  7. Click on Accept Award Offer tab at the top.  The Accept Award column is all the funds that you have the option to accept for the entire year and will have a drop-down arrow allowing you to accept the full amount, reduce or decline the award. To accept a partial amount, type in how much of the award you would like to receive in the Accept Partial Amount text box. The amount you accept will be split evenly between the semesters that are awarded.
  8. Choose Accept or Decline for each fund that is offered (if you want partial amounts, please input the amount that you want to accept.)
  9. Click on Submit Decision
  10. Parent PLUS Loans cannot be accepted or declined through Self Service Banner.  Visit the PLUS Loans web page for information specific to Parent PLUS loans.

What to do with loans?

1. Decide if you want the loan. Once you have been awarded a loan, you have the option to accept, reduce or decline it. You won't receive any loan money until you make a selection in Self Service Banner (SSB).

2. After reading the instructions, go to Self Service Banner (SSB) to accept or decline your loans (login required) to submit your selection of loans.

3. Once you submit your decision, you have completed the process.  Loans will disburse to your student account during the semester according to the disbursement schedule on your loan disclosure statement that you received from the federal government.

4. If you change your mind after accepting your loan through SSB, you will not be able to use SSB to make changes. If you want to change your decision about a loan or to request an increase or decrease to a loan, you must:

  • Complete the Loan Request Form if you wish to increase or decrease your loan
  • Be sure to specify the exact amount of the total loan that you would like for the term(s) requested
  • Remember to include the origination fee when figuring your request