Apply for a federal grant

These are currently two grants funded by the Federal government for college funding. If you receive grant money, Davenport will apply the funds to your student account against tuition, fees and book charges. Grants do not have to be repaid.

Davenport's school code is: 002249

Fill out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA website has step-by-step instructions to get a PIN and complete the forms. Questions? We can help. Visit your campus Financial Aid office.


Eligibility is determined using a standard formula to produce an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) number. This number, and whether or not you are eligible for a grant, will appear on your Student Aid Report (SAR).  More details about all of these programs are available at

This grant is awarded only to students who have not earned a bachelor's degree. For the 2021-2022 aid year, Pell awards range from about $650 to $6,495, based on Federal appropriations.  Amounts received depend on several factors, including:

  • EFC number
  • full-time or part-time status
  • length of time attended during the academic year

For part-time students who are eligible and receive reduced Pell Grant amounts, Davenport will disburse funds according to enrollment status. The Pell Grant is limited to a lifetime use of 600% (12 full-time semesters)-for more information about this please see the section at the bottom of this page, Lifetime Limit for Pell Grant.

Lifetime Limit for Pell Grant

Have some questions about the changes in Pell lifetime eligibility? We will try and answer all your questions.

  • What is the change in the Pell Grant?
    • Effective Fall 2012 semester students that have received 600% (12 semesters) or more of the Pell Grant are no longer eligible for the Pell Grant.
  • How do I know the amount I have used? 
    • By logging into, you can view the total Pell Grant amount you have received from any institution of higher education you attended and at which you received Pell Grant. Currently, NSLDS does not have your Pell Grant usage calculated in a percentage for your viewing.
  • If I can’t see my % used online, how can I know how much I have used?
    • Here is a chart to help understand how the percentages are calculated to estimate how much you have used.
Enrollment per semester % used in wall % used in winter Lifetime % used for the academic year
Full-time 50% 50% 100%
9 credit hours 37.5% 37.5% 75%
Half-time 25% 25% 50%


  • Will I ever be able to find out what my actual percentage used is? 
    • Our Financial Aid Counselors will help you determine your current percentage used.
  • Why would the government make this change? 
    • To save money and increase accountability of federal funds. The change in the Pell Grant lifetime limit from 900% to 600% will help reduce the federal deficit.
  • But my EFC is in the Pell awarding range?
    • Even though you may have a Pell-eligible EFC, if you have used your 600% (12 semesters) lifetime limit of Pell Grant, you are no longer eligible.
  • But I have been out of school for years….. 
    • The federal Pell Grant program began over 50 years ago and since this change limits the use of Pell during a student’s lifetime, all awards in your history of receiving the Pell Grant are included when determining your percentage used.  
  • Are there alternative funding options?
  • How can I make sure I finish my degree before I use my lifetime Pell eligibility? 
    • Advisors and Financial Aid Counselors are available to assist you in planning out the remainder of your degree using financial aid.
  • Who can I talk to about this?  
    • Financial Aid Counselors are ready and want to talk with you about your Pell Grant lifetime percentage used. If you have exceeded or will be exceeding the lifetime limit soon, we want to help you plan out the rest of your education at Davenport. Please click here for contact information for our Financial Aid Counselors.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants(FSEOG)

This grant is awarded only to students with exceptional financial need who have not earned a bachelor's degree. 

  • FSEOG is awarded to those with the lowest Expected Family Contribution (EFC). Amounts range from $100 to $800 for each school year. Individual award amounts are based on the student's EFC and overall need.
  • Priority is given to students who receive Federal Pell Grants. While the Department of Education guarantees that participating schools will receive funds to pay the Federal Pell Grants for its eligible students, there is no guarantee every eligible student will receive an FSEOG. Students are paid based on funds available.
  • Davenport has limited funds, and students are awarded based on file completion date of the FAFSA.

Children of Fallen Heroes Scholarship

On March 23, 2018, the President signed authorizing the Children of Fallen Heroes Scholarship Act. This grant program is available to Pell-eligible students whose parent or guardian died in the line of duty while performing as a public safety officer. For the purposes of the Children of Fallen Heroes (CFH), a public safety officer is:

  • A fire or police officer, defined as an individual who is serving in accordance with the state or local law as an officially recognized or designated member of a legally organized public safety agency and provides scene security or directs traffic in response to any fire drill, fire call or other fire, rescue or police emergency, or at a planned special event; or
  • As defined in section 1204 of title I of the Omnibus Crime Control and safe Streets Act of 1968 (42 U.S.C 379b).

Student eligibility requirements:

  • Must be Pell eligible (has a Pell-eligible Expected Family Contribution (EFC) of 0-5486)
  • Enrolled in an undergraduate program
  • Not have earned a baccalaureate degree or equivalent
  • Less than 24 years of age OR enrolled at an institution of higher education at the time of the parent’s or guardian’s death


  • Maximum Pell Grant award
  • Scholarship is renewable as long as the student is Pell-eligible and enrolled

How to apply:

  • If you meet the above criteria, please complete the application form and attached one of the following supporting documents:
    • A determination letter acknowledging eligibility for certain federal benefits under the Public Safety Officers Benefit (PSOB) program administered by the US Department of Justice;
    • A written letter of attestation or determination made by the state or local government official with supervisory or other relevant oversight authority of an individual who died in the line of duty while serving as a public safety officer as defined above;
    • Documentation of the student qualifying for state tuition or other state benefit accorded to the children or other family members of a public safety officer or fire or police officer consistent with the definition above;
    • Any documentation from a credible source that reports or describe the death of the fallen hero (i.e., Newspaper articles, Press release and/or obituary)

You will be notified when the application has been reviewed, and whether any additional supporting documentation is required.

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant (IASG)

The Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant (IASG) is available to eligible students whose parent or guardian was a member of the U.S. armed forces and died as a result of military service in Iraq and Afghanistan after September 11, 2011. The university and the student will be notified via SAR/ISIR if the student may be eligible.

Student eligibility criteria:

  • Must not be Pell-eligible on the basis of the EFC, but meet all other Pell Grant eligibility requirements
  • Student must be under the age of 24 years old or enrolled in college at least part-time at the time of the guardian’s or parent’s death
  • Do not have a bachelor’s degree, graduator professional degree


  • The award amount is equal to the maximum Federal Pell Grant, adjusted for the federal budget sequester
  • No more than 12 full-time semesters for eligible students

Renewal criteria:

  • Submit the FAFSA annually
  • Continue to meet all the Pell Grant eligibility requirements
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

How to apply:

  • Complete the Free Application For Federal Student Aid -