Prepare to take the CCMA exam through the NHA in just 15-weeks
This course is Going PRO eligible. Results in 6 credits towards a degree at Davenport University.
Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA) Program
The medical sector is growing quickly, medical assisting being no exception. Whether you're interested in the clinical or administrative side of healthcare - or both - becoming a Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA) will allow you to help patients get the care they need and enable doctors and nurses to perform their best. Prepare to take the Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA) exam through the National Healthcareer Association (NHA) with Davenport University’s Certified Clinical Medical Assistant Program. This intensive 15-week program helps aspiring medical assistants develop the skills needed for success through a combination of personalized coaching and CCMA certification exam prep. In this course, you will learn medical law and ethics, HIPAA rules, scheduling, patient check-in and check-out, contents of a medical record, anatomy, pathophysiology, pharmacology, nutrition, phlebotomy theory, and routine treatment and laboratory duties.
The CCMA training is offered in an online/on-demand format, accessible 24/7.
- Courses are offering in a instructor-led, online format.
- Students complete 2 courses over 15-weeks.
- Courses are offered fully online/on-demand.
- All books are included.
- CCMA Exam voucher included.
- Results in 6 credits toward a bachelor's degree at Davenport University (MEDA255-Clinical Laboratory Procedures, MEDA254-Clinical Laboratory Preparation)
- Fall, winter, and spring start dates available.
- Call 616-233-2589 for more information.
The CCMA courses Include:
Clinical Patient CareLearn procedures of ambulatory care, obtaining accurate clinical and historical patient data, and patient education/safety. Includes some medical terminology and pharmacology concepts and the effects medications have on the body and disease.
Clinical Laboratory ProceduresGain an understanding of basic laboratory procedures, including specimen collection and processing.
After completing the courses, you will be able to:
- Provide responsible communication in a healthcare setting
- Comply with HIPAA/HITECH, OSHA, CMS and other healthcare regulations and laws
- Comprehend the use of Diagnosis and Procedure codes and employ Electronic Health Records
- Gain an understanding of laboratory and specimen collection, cardiopulmonary testing, pharmacology and medication administration
- Record vital signs, take medical histories and prepare patients and rooms for examinations
Learners are responsible for gaining clinical hours with a local company/agency/organization whose work aligns with this area of study in order to gain valuable hands-on experience. Additional documentation including health records, immunizations, drug-screening, criminal background checks, etc. may be required by the facility.
What does a Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA) job involve?According to NHA, certified clinical medical assistants serve in a variety of functions that combine office operations and patient procedures. CCMA's may coordinate patient scheduling, facilitate office visits and manage patient records, including Electronic Health Records (EHR). CCMA's may assist with exams and procedures such as EKG, phlebotomy, and laboratory procedures. Job opportunities are prevalent with physician’s offices, clinics, chiropractor’s offices, hospitals and outpatient facilities.
Are CCMAs the same as CNAs?While CCMAs may serve in a variety of roles in the healthcare setting, including office processes, clinical procedures and patient management, Certified Nurses Assistants (CNAs) work full-time with patients and may help with basic care activities such as dressing, bathing, and moving patients while they are under medical care.
Who should attend?
Clinical Medical Assistants should have or be pursuing a high school diploma or GED. Students who complete this comprehensive course would be prepared to sit for the National Healthcareer Association (NHA) Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA) national certification examination. This course is ideal for students interested in pursuing a future degree in Certified Medical Assistant (CMA), Nursing (LPN) or a Nursing (RN).