Davenport University’s Implicit Bias interactive workshop provides healthcare practitioners and professionals with an in-depth understanding of implicit bias. This workshop teaches you how to manage your bias and interactions with diverse patients, practitioners, and peers.
As an accredited University, Davenport offers instructor-led implicit bias training with live synchronous interaction in both livestream/virtual and in-person at campuses throughout the state of Michigan.
Implicit Bias Course for Healthcare
If left unchecked, unconscious or implicit biases can lead to unfair or discriminatory behavior with negative consequences. Our unconscious bias training helps professionals at all levels recognize and manage their own biases to create a more inclusive workplace. Meet Your LARA Initial Licensure Or Renewal Requirement For Implicit Bias with Davenport University.
In this 3-hour session, participants gain a stronger understanding of bias; both conscious and unconscious. And how hidden biases affect workplace decisions and culture. Learn to recognize biases and the impact they have on serving a diverse population, diversity and inclusion initiatives, and cultural sensitivity. Gain the tools to recognize and manage individual and team behaviors around bias in the workplace.
This course includes pre- and post-test implicit bias assessments and results in both a Certificate of Completion from Davenport University and a digital badge verifying training completion.
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Understand the concept of unconscious bias and the types of biases
- Understand historical bias and present consequences of bias
- Develop a greater self-awareness of our own cultural tendencies, recognizing nuances of our own culture and the culture of others
- Explain how to recognize personal biases and make more informed decision
- Recognize how societal culture and organizational culture intersect and identify steps to create an organizational culture that promotes inclusion through listening, taking action, valuing input, and fostering open communication
- Understand how biases can influence workplace decisions and interactions and the business metrics that are affected
- Embrace acceptance and empathy rather than awareness and tolerance
- Explore and practice words and actions that encourage respect and resolution to conflicts and difficult situations between individuals, which will eliminate discriminatory behaviors
Why Choose DU?
- Insight into Diversity's Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) Award for seven consecutive years
- Partners for a Racism Free Community Level I Partner Designation
- 2014 Council for Exceptional Children (CEC) Hispanic Advocacy Award
- 2016 Grand Rapids Chamber Diversity Leadership Award
- 2017 Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR) Best for Vets Award
- Employee Resource Groups (ERG) Council and Honors Award for three consecutive years (2017-2019) --- the only university to ever be in the ERG Leadership Circle
- HireReach Cohort 1 Member Organization
Understanding and mitigating bias is a lifelong journey. Learn strategies to remedy the negative impact of implicit bias by recognizing and understanding how it impacts perception, judgment, and actions that may result in inequitable decision making, communication, and access to and delivery of health care services.