Focus on family health with our online nursing master’s degree
Expand your nursing career by learning best primary-care practices for adults and children with the family nurse practitioner concentration of our master of science in nursing (MSN) program at Davenport University. This MSN family nurse practitioner program emphasizes continuing and comprehensive wellness and illness care for individuals, as well as illness management, health promotion and health education for communities.
Continue to work while you study by earning your online nursing master’s degree through our Global Campus. Accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE), our master of science in nursing program will equip you with the problem-solving and critical-thinking skills demanded in today's advanced nursing roles. Plus, by earning your nursing MSN, you’re setting yourself on a path to earn a higher nursing salary.
Our nursing master’s programs are led by nursing faculty and staff that are highly qualified clinicians and nurse educators. They maintain close partnerships with health care networks to ensure you receive the best clinical placements for your career goals. With these high-quality experiences and instructors, you’ll be positioned to join graduates of Davenport’s nursing master’s programs who have passed their nursing certification exams at rates above the national average.
What is a master of science in nursing?
A master of science in nursing is a graduate-level academic degree that gives working nurses and students a pathway to advanced nursing roles and a higher nursing salary.
As a Davenport MSN family nurse practitioner graduate, you’ll be prepared to serve a diverse patient base across the socioeconomic spectrum and in settings from community outreach clinics to private practices. You’ll be a primary point of contact for the health care needs of individuals and families and have the ability to track, treat and educate patients.
Explore classes for this nursing master’s program
The family nurse practitioner concentration of Davenport’s online nursing master’s program will give you the knowledge and skills you need to serve a broad array of patients. Your classes will include acute and episodic problems across the lifespan, advanced practice nursing care of women, childbearing, family and pediatrics, management of patients and families with chronic conditions, and advanced gerontology. Each nursing MSN course at Davenport aligns with Quality Matters (QM) and undergoes Instructional Design evaluation for quality assurance. This means you can rest assured that our nursing master’s program meets the highest standards.
Round out your master of science in nursing with primary-care clinical experiences and a family nurse practitioner capstone project.
Foundations of Advanced Nursing
|NURS600||Theoretical Fndn Adv Nurs Prac||3|
|NURS601||MSN Orientation Seminar||0|
|NURS640||Nurs Research & Evid-Base Prac||3|
|NURS670||Transform NursingPractice Role||3|
Advanced Nursing Core
|NURS740||Advanced Health Assessment||2|
|NURS740V||Advanced Health Assessment Lab||1|
Family Nurse Practitioner Concentration
|NURS768||FNP I-Hlth Prom Adv Prac Nurs||2|
|NURS768C||FNP I-Hlt Prom Adv Prac Nur Cl||1|
|NURS772||FNP Onsite Campus Intensive||1|
|NURS776||FNP II-Acute & Episodic Prob||2|
|NURS776C||FNP II-Acute & Episdic Prob Cl||5|
|NURS781||Adv Prac Nurs Care Wmn Fam Ped||2|
|NURS781C||Adv Prac Nur Care Wn Fam Ped C||5|
|NURS786||FNP Mgt Patient/Family Chronic||2|
|NURS786C||FNP Mgt Patient/Familiy Chr Cl||5|
|NURS794||Family Nurse Practitioner Caps||1|
Which class should I take? When should I take it?
See our Recommended Program Sequences:
Why pursue an online nursing master’s degree at Davenport?
Davenport’s online MSN family nurse practitioner program includes direct clinical practice in a variety of primary-care practice settings. You’ll complete a hands-on intensive using high-fidelity simulation technology, online virtual health assessment tools and precision simulators under the supervision of nurse practitioner preceptors. With a 6:1 student/faculty ratio for clinical placements, you’ll receive more one-on-one attention from Davenport’s highly credentialed and experienced nursing instructors.
Davenport’s online nursing master’s degree will give you ample opportunities to network and get to know your nursing MSN peers and faculty through the Davenport Global Campus, which is specially designed to foster valuable connections.
To help relieve some of the financial barriers to your MSN family nurse practitioner degree, Davenport will waive your nursing MSN application fee and extend a 20% tuition discount if you’re a member of the Michigan Health & Hospital Association (MHA).
Experience the Davenport difference:
Convenience for your online nursing master’s
Choose an MSN family nurse practitioner program that’s designed to be completed 100% online for working nurses like you.
Exceptional test preparation
Graduates of Davenport’s nursing MSN pass their certification exams at rates higher than the national average.
Gain advanced knowledge and practical skills in small classes that offer individualized attention from highly credentialed faculty.
Key clinical placements
Earn a nursing MSN that supports your career goals with the right clinical placements, thanks to our dedicated clinical care staff.
Get started on your MSN family nurse practitioner degree
Explore the admissions requirements and then take the next step toward earning your master of science in nursing at Davenport.
Programs related to the online nursing master’s degree
About Davenport University
Davenport is a private, not-for-profit university with more than 150 years of experience preparing students for successful careers.
Offering over 60 bachelor’s and master’s degree programs, we align with top employers to design degree programs that help you gain the skills and real-world experience you need to rise above the rest. With small class sizes and campuses across Michigan or online, you’ll earn a quality education on your schedule at Davenport University.
- A current, valid, and unrestricted license as a Registered Nurse (RN) in a U.S jurisdiction or province of Canada
- A Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Two professional recommendations
- Official transcripts from previous nursing program(s)
- Cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 out of a 4.0
- Professional essay
Out of State Applicants applying for academic programs leading to Professional Licensure (ie; FNP), it is highly recommended that students contact the appropriate licensing agency in their state of residence if they are considering an academic program that leads to a professional license. Davenport University offers a state by state guide with web links to the appropriate licensing agencies. It is the responsibility of students to contact the appropriate licensing agency and to understand the requirements in their state of residence as applied to their specific situation.
The multifaceted roles of the practical and professional nurse are taught at Davenport University and include care provision, communication, management, and scope of practice. Theoretical foundations shape the curricula and guide the nursing education. The Davenport University Nursing Program is a dynamic system that provides for the educational growth and development of the nursing student. An adaptation of Fawcett’s metaparadigm is utilized and includes person, environment, health, and nursing.
- Person - The concept of a person refers to the individual or individuals as part of culture, family, community or aggregate groups who interact with the nurse in a therapeutic manner.
- Environment -The environment is made up of the physical surroundings and the settings in which the person interacts with society as a whole. This integrates the totality of social, cultural, and religious foundations and influences. Individuals are affected by the environment and, in turn, have the ability to effect the environment.
- Health - The health continuum from birth to death includes physical, mental, cultural, and spiritual elements. Wellness describes the function of a person at his or her maximum potential.
- Nursing - Nursing is a caring profession that is guided by the ANA Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice. Nursing is not limited to physical care but incorporates the promotion, protection, and optimization of health. Nursing practice is guided by research which contributes to the delivery of evidence-based practice.
- Synthesize concepts and theories from nursing and related disciplines and sciences to deliver advanced nursing care.
- Integrate evidence-based knowledge, research, and clinical judgment to design, coordinate, and evaluate the delivery of care.
- Integrate current and emerging health and information technologies effectively into one’s practice to enhance health outcomes.
- Collaborate effectively within an interprofessional context to improve the delivery of care across the health care continuum.
- Apply organizational and systems leadership strategies to promote high quality and safe patient care environments.
- Advocate for policies at the local, state, and national levels to improve health and advance the profession of nursing.
- Demonstrate beginning competency in an advanced nursing role.