Teach future nurses with our online nursing master’s degree
Prepare to become a highly sought-after nurse educator equipped to teach nursing students in both classroom and clinical settings with Davenport’s master of science in nursing with a nurse educator concentration.
Accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE), Davenport’s master of science in nursing program offers you 100% online classes through our Global Campus. With exceptional instruction and mentorship of clinician faculty, you’ll develop the skills and strategies you need to become an effective nurse educator.
Graduate in as little as two years with Davenport’s online nursing master’s degree program and be qualified to sit for the Certified Nurse Educator (CNE) exam. Achieving this credential positions you to earn a higher nursing educator salary. You’ll also benefit from a rise in nurse educator jobs, which is being driven by a high number of baby boomer nurses retiring, the increase in the senior citizen population and the increase of chronic disease.
What is a master of science in nursing?
A master of science in nursing is a graduate-level academic degree that deepens the knowledge and skills of students who hold an undergraduate nursing degree and work in the nursing field. Nursing MSN graduates who choose the nurse educator concentration can earn a higher nursing educator salary by qualifying for more in-demand roles that require a graduate degree.
Davenport’s online nursing master’s degree with a nurse educator concentration will prepare you to teach future nurses at academic institutions and in clinical settings.
Explore classes for Davenport’s nursing master’s programs
The nurse educator concentration of Davenport’s online nursing master’s program includes a broad array of classes to help you develop into an exceptional nurse educator. Classes include theoretical foundations of teaching and learning, curriculum development and program evaluation, and role of the educator. You’ll acquire strategic teaching skills while you advance your clinical capabilities, including assessment, pharmacology and pathophysiology.
All Davenport nursing MSN classes align with Quality Matters (QM) and undergo Instructional Design evaluation so you can be assured our nursing master’s program meets the highest standards for quality and real-world relevance.
Foundations of Advanced Nursing
|NURS600||Theoretical Fndn Adv Nurs Prac||3|
|NURS601||MSN Orientation Seminar||0|
|NURS640||Nurs Research & Evid-Base Prac||3|
|NURS670||Transform NursingPractice Role||3|
Advanced Nursing Core
|NURS740||Advanced Health Assessment||2|
|NURS740V||Advanced Health Assessment Lab||1|
Nursing Educator Concentration
|HINT730||Information Mgt in Health Care||3|
|NURS765||Concepts of Adv Nurs Practice||2|
|NURS765C||Concepts of Adv Nurs Prac Clin||2|
|NURS780||Theoretical Fndns Teach/Learn||3|
|NURS784||Curriculum Devel/Program Eval||3|
|NURS787||Role of the Nurse Educator||1|
|NURS787C||Role Nurse Educator Clinical||1|
|NURS795 or NURS799||MSN Special Project or MSN Thesis||1|
Which class should I take? When should I take it?
See our Recommended Program Sequences:
Why pursue an online nursing master’s degree at Davenport?
In addition to expanding theoretical knowledge, Davenport’s nursing MSN program offers you hands-on practical experience in a health care setting, including a clinical practicum and high-fidelity virtual simulations in Davenport’s Health Assessment Lab. You’ll round out your online nursing master’s degree with a mentored thesis project.
Make the most of your online nursing master’s by networking and getting to know your nursing MSN peers and faculty through the Davenport Global Campus, which is designed to foster meaningful connections.
As a Davenport online nursing master’s graduate, you’ll be fully prepared in the art and science of nursing instruction and well positioned to join other Davenport nursing MSN graduates who have passed their nursing certification exams at rates above the national average. In fact, many of our graduates have found nurse educator jobs right here on the Davenport nursing team as faculty members.
If you are a member of the Michigan Health & Hospital Association (MHA), you can take advantage of a 20% tuition discount and application fee waiver toward your Davenport nursing MSN degree.
Experience the Davenport difference:
Convenience of an online nursing master’s
Choose a nursing MSN degree program that’s 100% online to better accommodate the busy schedules of working nurses like you.
High certification pass rates
Gain exceptional CNE exam preparation from a nursing MSN program with CNE pass rates that exceed the national average.
Highly credentialed faculty-mentors
Learn skills for nurse educator jobs with nursing MSN faculty that are respected nurse educators in the community.
Prove your online nursing master’s degree skills and knowledge with hands-on nurse educator practice, both clinical and academic.
Get started on your master of science in nursing degree
Explore the admissions requirements and then take the next step toward earning your online nursing master’s degree at Davenport.
- A current, valid, and unrestricted license as a Registered Nurse (RN) in a U.S jurisdiction or province of Canada
- A Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Two professional recommendations
- Official transcripts from previous nursing program(s)
- Cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 out of a 4.0
- Professional essay
Out of State Applicants applying for academic programs leading to Professional Licensure (ie; FNP), it is highly recommended that students contact the appropriate licensing agency in their state of residence if they are considering an academic program that leads to a professional license. Davenport University offers a state by state guide with web links to the appropriate licensing agencies. It is the responsibility of students to contact the appropriate licensing agency and to understand the requirements in their state of residence as applied to their specific situation.
The multifaceted roles of the practical and professional nurse are taught at Davenport University and include care provision, communication, management, and scope of practice. Theoretical foundations shape the curricula and guide the nursing education. The Davenport University Nursing Program is a dynamic system that provides for the educational growth and development of the nursing student. An adaptation of Fawcett’s metaparadigm is utilized and includes person, environment, health, and nursing.
- Person - The concept of a person refers to the individual or individuals as part of culture, family, community or aggregate groups who interact with the nurse in a therapeutic manner.
- Environment -The environment is made up of the physical surroundings and the settings in which the person interacts with society as a whole. This integrates the totality of social, cultural, and religious foundations and influences. Individuals are affected by the environment and, in turn, have the ability to effect the environment.
- Health - The health continuum from birth to death includes physical, mental, cultural, and spiritual elements. Wellness describes the function of a person at his or her maximum potential.
- Nursing - Nursing is a caring profession that is guided by the ANA Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice. Nursing is not limited to physical care but incorporates the promotion, protection, and optimization of health. Nursing practice is guided by research which contributes to the delivery of evidence-based practice.
- Synthesize concepts and theories from nursing and related disciplines and sciences to deliver advanced nursing care.
- Integrate evidence-based knowledge, research, and clinical judgment to design, coordinate, and evaluate the delivery of care.
- Integrate current and emerging health and information technologies effectively into one’s practice to enhance health outcomes.
- Collaborate effectively within an interprofessional context to improve the delivery of care across the health care continuum.
- Apply organizational and systems leadership strategies to promote high quality and safe patient care environments.
- Advocate for policies at the local, state, and national levels to improve health and advance the profession of nursing.
- Demonstrate beginning competency in an advanced nursing role.