Propel your career forward with our online nursing master’s degree
Master of Science - Nursing (37 or 47 credits)
Build on the nursing knowledge and skill sets you already have with a master of science in nursing (MSN) from Davenport University. Offered through our Global Campus, this 100% online nursing master’s degree gives you the flexibility to continue working while you earn your nursing MSN.
Davenport’s accredited master of science in nursing program will equip you with the high-level problem-solving and critical-thinking skills that today’s advanced nursing roles demand. Plus, earning your MSN degree will set you on a path to a higher nursing salary.
Davenport’s dedicated nursing faculty and staff are highly qualified clinicians and nursing educators. Their deep connections to a network of health care partners will lead you to the best clinical placements for your career goals. With exceptional instructors and clinical experiences, it’s no wonder students in Davenport’s nursing master’s programs pass their nursing certification exams at rates higher than the national average.
What is a master of science in nursing?
A master of science in nursing is a graduate-level academic degree that working nurses or students often pursue to gain professional skills and credentials that qualify them for new roles, along with the higher nursing salary an MSN unlocks.
Graduates of nursing master’s programs work as nurse educators, family nurse practitioners, research nurses, nurse administrators and much more.
Explore classes for Davenport’s nursing master’s programs
Through courses such as Transforming Nursing Practice Role Through Leadership, Policy and Advocacy, you’ll develop critical- and creative-thinking skills as well as leadership abilities you can bring to any nursing role. Prove your nursing skills and abilities with capstone and clinical experiences and then round out your master of science in nursing with a special project or MSN thesis.
Davenport’s nursing master’s programs are aligned with Quality Matters (QM) and are evaluated through Instructional Design to ensure you receive the highest quality online nursing master’s degree. This program also reflects the Essentials of Master’s Education in Nursing developed by the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN) and the Outcomes and Competencies for Graduates of Master’s Programs in Nursing by the National League for Nursing (NLN).
Foundations of Advanced Nursing
|NURS600||Theoretical Fndn Adv Nurs Prac||3|
|NURS601||MSN Orientation Seminar||0|
|NURS640||Nurs Research & Evid-Base Prac||3|
|NURS670||Transform NursingPractice Role||3|
Advanced Nursing Core
|NURS740||Advanced Health Assessment||2|
|NURS740V||Advanced Health Assessment Lab||1|
Advanced Nursing Role
|HINT730||Legal Aspects and Compliance||3|
|NURS765||Concepts of Adv Nurs Practice||2|
|NURS765C||Concepts of Adv Nurs Prac Clin||2|
|NURS780||Theoretical Fndns Teach/Learn||3|
MSN Electives* - Select two courses from the following:
|NURS782||Intro to Simulation in Nurs Ed||3|
|BUSN610||Management and Marketing||3|
|HCMG630||Health Care Organizations||3|
|HCMG730||Ethical/Legal Prspct Health Cr||3|
|HRMG700||Managing Human Resources||3|
|HRMG750||Org Development & Training||3|
|NURS795 or NURS799||MSN Special Project or MSN Thesis||1|
|NURS797||Advanced Generalist Capstone||1|
|NURS797C||Adv Generalist Capstone Clinic||1|
Which class should I take? When should I take it?
See our Recommended Program Sequences:
Why pursue an online nursing master’s degree at Davenport?
o Advance your career and earn a higher nursing salary by achieving your MSN through Davenport’s online nursing master’s degree program. Through the online nursing master’s, you’ll be well prepared for roles such as nursing manager, clinical leader and specialist. Your nursing MSN degree at Davenport will also prepare you to complete family nurse practitioner, psychiatric nurse practitioner and nurse educator concentrations, which can open even greater career pathways.
Davenport’s online nursing master’s degree program gives you vital hands-on experience, including direct clinical practice and virtual simulations in our Health Assessment Lab. Network and get to know your nursing MSN peers and faculty — even through an online nursing master’s degree — thanks to Davenport’s innovative Global Campus.
Use Davenport’s unique partnership with the Michigan Health & Hospital Association (MHA) to qualify for a 20% tuition discount on your nursing MSN. This advantage is available to any MHA member in the Davenport nursing MSN program.
Experience the Davenport difference:
Convenient online nursing master’s
Choose a master of science in nursing that’s 100% online and designed for working nurses like you.
Exceptional test preparation
Pass your certification exams and do so at a rate higher than the national average, just like the nursing MSN graduates before you.
Led by nursing leaders
Learn from (and be mentored by) highly credentialed master of science in nursing faculty with real-world health care experience.
Nursing career readiness
Earn a nursing MSN that gives you key clinical placements aligned with your career goals, thanks to our dedicated clinical care staff.
Get started on your online nursing master’s degree
Explore the admissions requirements and then take the next step toward earning your online nursing master’s degree at Davenport.
Programs related to the online nursing master’s degree
About Davenport University
Davenport is a private, not-for-profit university with more than 150 years of experience preparing students for successful careers.
Offering over 60 bachelor’s and master’s degree programs, we align with top employers to design degree programs that help you gain the skills and real-world experience you need to rise above the rest. With small class sizes and campuses across Michigan or online, you’ll earn a quality education on your schedule at Davenport University.
- A current, valid, and unrestricted license as a Registered Nurse (RN) in a U.S jurisdiction or province of Canada
- A Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Two professional recommendations
- Official transcripts from previous nursing program(s)
- Cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 out of a 4.0
- Professional essay
Out of State Applicants applying for academic programs leading to Professional Licensure (ie; FNP), it is highly recommended that students contact the appropriate licensing agency in their state of residence if they are considering an academic program that leads to a professional license. Davenport University offers a state by state guide with web links to the appropriate licensing agencies. It is the responsibility of students to contact the appropriate licensing agency and to understand the requirements in their state of residence as applied to their specific situation.
The multifaceted roles of the practical and professional nurse are taught at Davenport University and include care provision, communication, management, and scope of practice. Theoretical foundations shape the curricula and guide the nursing education. The Davenport University Nursing Program is a dynamic system that provides for the educational growth and development of the nursing student. An adaptation of Fawcett’s metaparadigm is utilized and includes person, environment, health, and nursing.
- Person - The concept of a person refers to the individual or individuals as part of culture, family, community or aggregate groups who interact with the nurse in a therapeutic manner.
- Environment -The environment is made up of the physical surroundings and the settings in which the person interacts with society as a whole. This integrates the totality of social, cultural, and religious foundations and influences. Individuals are affected by the environment and, in turn, have the ability to effect the environment.
- Health - The health continuum from birth to death includes physical, mental, cultural, and spiritual elements. Wellness describes the function of a person at his or her maximum potential.
- Nursing - Nursing is a caring profession that is guided by the ANA Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice. Nursing is not limited to physical care but incorporates the promotion, protection, and optimization of health. Nursing practice is guided by research which contributes to the delivery of evidence-based practice.
- Synthesize concepts and theories from nursing and related disciplines and sciences to deliver advanced nursing care.
- Integrate evidence-based knowledge, research, and clinical judgment to design, coordinate, and evaluate the delivery of care.
- Integrate current and emerging health and information technologies effectively into one’s practice to enhance health outcomes.
- Collaborate effectively within an interprofessional context to improve the delivery of care across the health care continuum.
- Apply organizational and systems leadership strategies to promote high quality and safe patient care environments.
- Advocate for policies at the local, state, and national levels to improve health and advance the profession of nursing.
- Demonstrate beginning competency in an advanced nursing role.
Faculty and Staff
Associate Dean: Amy Stahley PhD, MSN, RN
Department Chair for Nursing: Tracy Alberta, MSN, RN
Nursing Administrative Assistant: TBD
MSN/FNP Online Faculty
Clinical Coordinator: Marlo Schepers, MSN, RN, FNP-C